- Diminished movement.
- Use of wheelchair, crutches, zimmer frame.
- Rheumatoid arthritis or similar.
- Transport to venues.
- Inability to leave home.
Making open meetings accessible
- Review all venues re steps, ramps, handrails, toilets for the disabled, lifts, easy opening of doors.
- Ask members what help they require.
- Provide suitable space for wheelchairs at meetings and offer practical assistance.
- Encourage carers to accompany a member.
- Look at accessibility implications for parking at venues.
- Make it clear what to do in an emergency.
- Suggest car sharing.
Making interest groups accessible
- Be flexible about meeting in members’ homes, are they accessible?
- Could the disabled/impaired member host the group?
- Arrange meetings in retirement and/or care homes.