- Check your loop systems – do they work? If not get the owner to sort.
- At an open meeting, get the speaker to repeat the question (from the floor) so everybody can hear it (Congleton U3A).
- Dulwich and District U3A have had 2 information sessions for members on hearing difficulties and hearing aids. They also reserve the front 2 rows of every open meeting for those with sight and hearing issues.
- Offer large print newsletters.
- Large print cards available for Bridge or Whist.
- Large print Scrabble boards and tiles.
- Produce a spoken newsletter – Cheddar Valley U3A converts text to speech.
- There is a text version of Third Age Matters on the National website, for those with sight problems.
- Open meeting speaker’s talk videoed and put on youtube, accessible via U3As website, password protected.
- Do an audit of the premises you use – for ramps, handrails, accessible parking and toilets for the disabled – Barnsley U3A.
- Some County Councils have lists of accessible venues.
- Link on own U3A website to local bus timetables.
- Ensure parking places are reserved close to the hall, not just for those with a blue badge (Congleton U3A).
- Examples of inclusivity/accessibility policies from Todmorden and Beeston U3As:
- Draft Letter that could be sent to a member asking for confidential info in order to ensure they can be helped where needed from Stafford U3A:
- Have an Accessibility/Inclusivity Officer on the committee to deal with any relevant problems and to offer help and advice.
- Some local councils offer a free assessment of driving ability – to those over a certain age.
- Barnsley U3A offer an ‘associate level of membership for those who can no longer attend our activities but who want to continue with a level of interaction such as receiving newsletters and emails. Also remaining in their U3As closed Facebook Group.
- Causeway U3A offers transport to and from activities/meetings.
- Carers are welcomed to meetings, they are covered by the U3A insurance (unless they are professional carers) and are not charged for the meeting.
- Outline of advice for speakers at an Open Meeting from Beeston U3A:
- Aberystwyth U3A record their Open meeting speaker and put the audio on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com) available for everyone under download control.
- Visits check list (Beeston)
- Briefing notes for Meeters and Greeters (Beeston)
- Notes for Speakers at monthly meetings
- A buddy system for those without email or internet
- Carers attend meetings free of charge and U3A insurance covers them (unless professional)